Wānaka Sun       

Hāwea Flat local fundraising after sleepout burns down

Posted at 6:00am Thursday 23 Jul, 2020 | By Joanna Perry newdesk@thewanakasun.co.nz

Hāwea Flat resident Monika Žďárková is asking for help after a fire completely destroyed her sleepout on Wednesday last week.

Žďárková said she was out at work in the evening when the fire took place, so came home to find out what had happened at the property. She was unharmed and the fire was brought under control by the fire brigade before it affected the safety of any other people, animals or other buildings, but it destroyed her sleepout and all her belongings. Unfortunately, she did not have insurance.

Žďárková said she was “alive, safe and with great community people around” her, “so… I don't need anything, but I also need everything.”

She has set up a Givealittle page which has so far raised over $5,000. She thanked her neighbours and the Hāwea Flat community for their “kindness, care, clothes, food and big help.”

For more information or to help, go to: https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/fire-destroys-sleepout.

View edition 984 of the Wānaka Sun here.

​​​​​​​

COMMENTS


There are no comments on this article.


Post a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment.